The homepage of Lars Magnusson

My name is Lars Magnusson. My background is in linguistics, and below you can click to read something I wrote about the grammaticality of spontaneous spoken Swedish some years ago. You can also see data from the research project I conducted during my three years at UNAM (the University of Namibia). The research topic was one of the Oshiwambo dialects of northern Namibia, Ochikwambi.

My e-mail address is larsmagnusson2@yahoo.se and I can be reached at tel. no. +44 7549 644046. This is my CV.

If you are like me you will also be interested in the links below:

A few notes on the Karlskoga dialect of Värmland, Sweden

Grammatikaliteten i talad svenska

Kwambi compared with Ndonga

Explanation of the interlinear coding

Written vs. spoken Oshiwambo

 

Ochikwambi transcripts:

Engelbert Atshipara
Tadeus Erago
Gertrud Ankama
Old men in Oniimwandi
Otshaandja stories
Tomas Tshigwedha
Tadeus Taru
Pelagia
Pelagia II
Ruusa Amadhira 
Roide Atshipara
Arina Tshirongo
Abisai Kandongo
Iita (No translation)
Leena (No translation)

Oshindonga transcripts:

(No translation)

Amakali
Uukule
Kalumbu
Helmut
Okaku
Onayena

Ochikwambi recordings:

Gertrud Atshipara (Duration 10:49, MP3, 3.09 MB)

Abisai (Duration 22:49, MP3, 11.4 MB)

Alina Tshirongo 1 (Duration 45:32, MP3, 20.89 MB)

Alina Tshirongo 2 (Duration 8:13, MP3, 3.8 MB)

Engelbert Atshipara (Duration 21:35, MP3, 9.9 MB)

Tadeus Erago (Duration 5:16, MP3, 2.4 MB)

Roide Atshipara (Duration 17:13, MP3, 7.9 MB)

Old men in Oniimwandi (Duration 5:35, MP3, 2.6 MB)

Peragia (Duration 7:35, MP3, 3.5 MB)

Peragia 2 (Duration 12:32, MP3, 5.7 MB)

Ruusa Amadhila (Duration 11:25, MP3, 5.2 MB)

Susanna (Duration 4:29, MP3, 2.1 MB)

Tadeus Taru (Duration 13:18, MP3, 6.1 MB)

Tomas Tshigwedha (Duration 20:21, MP3, 9.3 MB)

 

 

I am a member of the Libertarian Party of Sweden.

And here are some timeless quotes from the Founding Fathers of the United States (and one from Barry Goldwater, a 20th century politician):

That government is best which governs least -Thomas Paine

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety - Benjamin Franklin

Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power - Benjamin Franklin

We hold these truths to be self evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness - US declaration of independence

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny. When the government fears the people, there is liberty - Thomas Jefferson

A democracy is little more than mob rule, where 51% of the people may take away the rights of the other 49% - Thomas Jefferson

Our contest is not only whether we ourselves shall be free, but whether there shall be left to mankind an asylum on earth for civil and religious liberty - Samuel Adams

I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice! And let me remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue - Barry Goldwater

In the quotation below Bill Bonner sums up (in a brilliant way) why central planning does not work:

"Then too, central planning didn’t work for less obvious reasons. Planning requires information. The planners had plenty of it. But private individuals had far more – local, current, more accurate information from first-hand observation and experience. With better information, they could make better plans. Most important, individuals didn’t limit themselves to only the fresh fruit of their rational brains. They put their hearts in it…and drew on instinct and tradition – the distilled spirits of previous generations – giving them a huge advantage over the apparatchiks" (found at www.lewrockwell.com on September 7th 2009)